Sunday, August 7, 2016

Code colorization

This month I started a new job and my new colleagues got a little bit shocked by how I am abusing the MSVC editor colors. My source looks like this:





Those of you that use the default colors are probably shocked too. Let's take a look at how Fonts and Colors settings in MSVC 2015 Update 3 look like:



The rationale behind setting a color for everything available is that this is information that the compiler or the IDE knows. I do not have to waste time to figure out if this string is a member variable or input parameter or local variable or a macro - this information is encoded in the color scheme.

I tried this just for fun the first time and my brain trained in one or two days to bind color to semantics. So my advice is to try it and see if it works for you as it is working for me.

If you are super excited and charmed by my personal color scheme you can find it at my github - MSVC 2015 Color Scheme

No comments:

Post a Comment